Sunday, November 1, 2009

Non Sequitur! Part Deux

The weather in here in Hong Kong seems to have settled at rather comfortable temperature that makes everyday life quite enjoyable. The weather has settled around 75 to 80 degrees during the day with low humidity. It has also become bearable here at night where before you couldn't two blocks without breaking a sweat, now it is possible to make to your final destination with only mild discomfort. People say the weather here is only going to get better and I am quite happy it is cooling down. I will say though that I miss the slow cool down of autumn and the eventual cold chills of Thanksgiving. It will be interesting stepping off the plane in December after 5 months in a relatively tropical climate, hopefully by annual adaptation to winter won't be affected and I can continue relishing in the ice cold weather that bothers so many.

The Elderly- Hong Kong is a city with a large population of senior citizens, at least my neighborhood is. While I have not spent nearly as much time in NYC as I might have liked I have noticed in my time there that there is a large population of residents over 65, maybe I'm missing something but the subway never seems to be filled with people you have to surrender your seat to or have to walk around because they are moving to slow. This may have to do with the long standing tradition of senior citizens heading down to Florida to relax and not pay as much in taxes. Yau Ma Tei is quite different; it seems that you can't go through one stop on the MTR without an elderly person looking at you coercing your seat from you. It is quite interesting to see the elderly sprinting from the door to the seat to beat the others from the generation for a spot. One thing that was mentioned to us during our orientation here is that many elderly people from greater Hong Kong and mainland China move into the city whereas in the states it would seem to be the exact opposite.

That's all I have for today's post. Hopefully more will come soon.

2 comments:

  1. You know what old people love? Loud music. I would suggest blasting them with a little Motorhead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also check out the Delta Spirit, they're a different vibe though.

    ReplyDelete