Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Aug 2009 - Reflections on my first days in HK

Observations and thoughts from my orientation experience in HK

So I have been here in HK for three days and four nights and man what a city. The closest place I know that I could compare this city with is NYC and that is still a poor assessment. So far the city has been really simple to navigate and we have found little trouble when it comes to finding where we need to be.

The school is pretty nice, it huge, it has an enrollment of 30,000 compared to a mere 6,000 back in Philly. It is a short commute to school, three stops on the metro (more on that later) and then a quick walk through a huge mall and you find yourself right in the middle of campus. The cafeteria at school is pretty good, there is some really good barbecue dishes, I'm not the biggest fan of the atmosphere there though, I'm not sure why but it just doesn't sit well with me. We usually leave the university during rush hour so the metro is packed but it just helps add to the experience. The subways here are amazing! The subways are spotless and nearly silent, a big step up after being used to New York. The routes they take are also very simple and concise and they require very little thinking when it comes to planning a trip. The only thing about the metro that I find annoying is that it stops running at on in the morning which is quite inconvenient for getting home from HK Island.

The night life here is pretty good, there are only a few areas here that cater nightlife scene, in HK culture bars are not popular and therefore you find that it almost completely tourists and expats. While there might not be clubs and bars on every corner like NY there is something for everyone and its usually not to tough to find.

So today I am headed off to mainland China for two weeks and will visiting Xian, Beijing and Shanghai. These two weeks are going to be jam packed and I will do my best to keep everyone posted on my journey.

P.S.- I am still working on the best way to share my pictures with you

No comments:

Post a Comment