Wednesday, September 30, 2009

SCHOOL

It was bound to happen eventually...

I have just finished the first week of class here in Hong Kong and I must admit until Monday, the idea of classes and homework seemed alien but alas it is here and will not be gone anytime soon. I must admit though I am lucky, I only have class four days a week, many of us do, this is a new phenomenon for me and I must say I rather enjoy it. This semester I am only taking three classes, I know, it sounds like a small amount but I am also doing a research paper on mainland China for our previous seminar and I will be doing an independent research project for 5 weeks at the end of the semester. Right now I am taking Mandarin (more on that later) International Economics and Money and Banking. Econ and MandB are good, a little slow but its early yet. The class that I'm sure most reading this are wondering about is Mandarin. Mandarin is intense. We have class for eight hours a week and we move fast. I'm getting the gist of the language but it is by no means easy. Lucky for me our class tends to stick together and we help each other out and study at night together. One thing that I noticed about City U that is different from Nova is the size. While it only has about twice as many undergrads as Nova, 12,000, it tries to fit them into a space similar to the size of my campus back home. The crowds are definitely new but they do make for good practice when it comes to pushing through the streets of HK. Taking the train to school is also new for me but in HK the metro is so nice that I actually enjoy that part of the commute. I will say that it is interesting being the tallest person of the almost 1000 people on the train. All in all my first week here at City U was without any surprises and it looks to be shaping up to be a great semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment