Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Ballin

I Was Shootin Some BBall Outside of the School...

Played some basketball last night, I have to say running the courts with locals is a little different than the pick up games back home. I haven't really played basketball on a consistent basis since the earlier years of high school but I would like to think that I am never one to shy away form a game. Having only played on and off a few times this summer at Zack's I wasn't quite sure what to expect of myself as me and five other kids headed over ti the local courts to find a game. We were a ragtag group of non athletes, former highs school players and a soccer player thrown in for good measure. We were quickly asked to run five on five by what I must assume is a local team out practicing. Now the game went like just about any street/pickup game you would find in the states with one small exception, fouls. Now coming from where I play basketball you don't really ever call a foul on a guy, you just suck it up and play through it, maybe give an elbow a little latter on. Last night there were more fouls called by the other team than I have ever seen. I don't really mind the foul call I just happen to be of the mind set that you such stop being worried about getting hurt and just suck it up, a foul really kills the tempo of the game. Another thing that I noticed seemed to missing from these guys (all about my age) is the basic courtesies that come in a pick up game, the most noticeable one being that you don't start the possession until everyone is ready. These guys had no problem starting up a play when one of our guys had just been taken out of the previous play and was still recovering to get back in the game, now I know that a game back home would come with some unwritten rules about such a thing. All in all though our team made it past the differences and managed to win two of the three games before the lights in the park went out. A good victory for the AWAY TEAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment